History

The Big Pink House dates back to the early 1830s when it began its life as a croft house. The house later converted into a private residence until the 1970 when the house was then opened as a hotel, since then has been known as The Pink House and Kelsey, after renovations in 2012 the house will be re-opened as a self catering group house accommodation and in reference to its former name the house was renamed: The Big Pink House.

This photograph is more than a hundred years old. It was taken at the Big Pink House, when then owners Thomas and Elizabeth Smith lived here. At this point the house was named Croft House (in homage to its former life). Elizabeth and Thomas had ten children (5 boys and 5 girls) and the photograph was actually taken on the day of their third daughters wedding day, in August 1903.

Incidentally Elizabeth Smith was the daughter of Isaac Crosthwaite (the stonemason who made John Peels headstone in Caldbeck Churchyard).

The photograph was provided by Joseph Rawlings OBE the grandson of Elizabeth and Thomas Smith.